|The last slice of this healthy and delicious cake||.|
1 cup standard flour
1 cup wholewheat flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup raw sugar
4 eggs (I used 4 leftover egg whites and 2 whole eggs)
1 cup sunflower oil
1 carrot, grated
2 medium apples, grated (leave the skin on)
½ cup sesame seed
½ - 1 cup pumpkin seeds (I didn't measure when I added the seeds)
- First grate the carrot and apples, and mash the banana.
- Set oven to 180°C and spray a ring cake tin with cooking spray.
- Sift the flours, baking soda, salt and spices together, and add the sugar. Mix gently to distribute ingredients evenly.
- Add the eggs and oil and mix lightly.
- Add the carrot, apple, banana and seeds and mix it lightly through the dough. If the dough feels too stiff you could add a bit more oil to the mixture.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for an hour or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted.
I'm sure raisins added to the mix would be lovely, but my family don't like raisins.
It is satisfying when an experiment turns out well. The previous time I had to throw out the cake - it was inedible!!